- Ames (Ames, Iowa)
- Los Alamos (Los Alamos, New Mexico)
- Argonne (Lemont, Illinois)
- Brookhaven (Upton, New York)
- Fermi National Accelerator Lab (Batavi, Illinois)
- Lawrence Berkeley (Berkeley, California)
- Oak Ridge (Oak Ridge, Tennessee)
- Pacific Northwest (Richland, Washington)
- Princeton Plasma Physics Lab (Princeton, New Jersey)
- SLAC National Accelerator Lab (Menlo Park, California)
- Thomas Jefferson National Accelerator Facility (Newport News, Virginia)
- Lawrence Livermore (Livermore, California)
- Sandia (Albuquerque, New Mexico)
- Idaho (Idaho Falls, Idaho)
- National Energy Technology Lab (Albany, Oregon)
- National Renewable Energy Lab (Golden, Colorado)
- Savannah River (Aiken, South Carolina)
Food & Drug Administration
Commissioner’s Fellowship-Fellows receive regulatory science training and conduct cutting-edge research on targeted scientific, policy, or regulatory issues under the mentorship of FDA senior scientists.
Staff Fellowship-Staff fellows encourage and promote research/regulatory review, studies, and investigations related to health.
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Prevention Fellowship-Provides fellows with opportunity to ddevelop an independent research program in cancer prevention. Program provides support up to 4 years, opportunity to earn MPH (sponsored by NCI), and mentorship from experienced NCI scientists.
Communications Fellowship-One-year fellowships in various communications and science-focused offices at NCI. Fellows attend an orientation, brown bag lunches, professional development trainings, and have 1-on-1 check-ins with the program manager. Fellows are placed in one of the 30 NCI divisions, offices and centers and assigned a mentor.
Interagency Oncology Task Force Fellowship-Provides training in cancer prevention, specifically in the drug, biologic or device development and approval processes and their application to study populations to facilitate the movement of novel approaches from the bench to the community.
National Institutes of Health
Genetics & Public Policy Fellowship-Designed as a bridge for genetics professionals wishing to transition to a policy career. Three types of experiences: staff position on Capitol Hill, time spent at the NIH, and experience working with the American Society of Human Genetics (16 months total).
Postdoctoral Fellowships-The NIH has ~4,000 postdocs from around the world. Fellows enhance their research skills in one of NIH’s 1200 laboratories and research projects free from the demands of obtaining grants and teaching (although opportunities to do both are available).
National Science Foundation
Atmospheric & Geospace Sciences Postdoctoral Research Fellowship
Centers of Research Excellence in Science & Technology (CREST) Postdoctoral Research Fellowship
Mathematical Sciences Postdoctoral Research Fellowships
Astronomy & Astrophysics Postdoctoral Fellowships
Earth Science Postdoctoral Fellowships
Postdoctoral Research Fellowships in Biology
Science & Technology Policy Fellowships– Provides opportunities for scientists and engineers to contribute to federal policymaking while learning firsthand about the intersection of science and policy.
- Executive: Fellowship opportunities in the executive branch are the most numerous of the four fellowships. Executive branch fellows contribute to policy, administration and implementation in a vast array of federal agencies.
- Legislative: The Congressional Science & Engineering Fellowships are sponsored by more than 30 scientific and engineering societies. Fellows on Capitol Hill help research, develop and draft legislation and provide input on policy review and oversight.
- Judicial: Engage with contemporary policy issues facing the judiciary while contributing your scientific and technical expertise to judicial administration, operations, education programs, protocol and discovery, or courtroom technology.
- Roger Revelle Fellowship in Global Stewardship: A unique opportunity to address global stewardship issues by applying a science or engineering background toward solutions to societal problems including ecosystems, population and climate change.
Community Engagement Fellowships-Aims to improve collaboration and community-building in science. It will provide a year-long professional development opportunity to individuals who cultivate member engagement and collaborative relationships within scientific associations and research collaborations.
Mass Media Fellowships-Fellows are placed in newsrooms to work as reporters, editors and production assistants. This strengthens the connections between scientists and journalists. Fellows use their academic training as they research, write and report today’s headlines, sharpening their abilities to communicate complex scientific issues to non-specialists.
Christine Mirzayan Science & Technology Policy Program-Designed to engage graduate science, engineering, medical, veterinary, business, and law students in the analysis and creation of science and technology policy and to familiarize them with the interactions of science, technology, and government
NRC Research Associateship Program-Postdoctoral and senior research awards sponsored by federal laboratories at more than 100 locations in the US and overseas (22 participating agencies such as NOAA, EPA, Army). Awards are given for the purpose of conducting research chosen by the doctoral level scientists and engineers to apply their special knowledge and research talents to research areas that are of interest to them and to the host laboratories and centers.
Ford Foundation Postdoctoral Fellowships-Increases the diversity of the nation’s college and university faculties by increasing their ethnic and racial diversity to maximize the educational benefits of diversity and to increase the number of professors who can and will use diversity as a resource for enriching the education of all students.
Air Force Science & Technology Fellowships-A nationally competitive fellowship program for postdoctoral and senior scientists to perform collaborative research with scientists and engineers at the Air Force Research Laboratory, the Air Force Institute of Technology, or the U.S. Air Force Academy.
Army Research Laboratory Distinguished Postdoctoral Fellowships-These postdoctoral fellowships for outstanding young researchers provide the opportunity for recipients to pursue independent research of their own choosing that supports the mission of the Army Research Laboratory.
NETL Methan Hydrate Fellowship-Designed to support the development of Methane Hydrate science and enable highly qualified graduate and postgraduate students to pursue advanced degrees and training in an area of increasing national interest.
Regeneron-Up to four years of formal postdoctoral training. You will conduct research to address a novel scientific question under the auspices of a scientist mentor, publish and disseminate data via external conferences and peer-reviewed publications, participate in postdoctoral program activities, and present data internally at lab meetings and company-wide seminars.
Cornell Tech Runway Program-Part business school, part research institution, and part startup incubator. Based at the Jacobs Technion-Cornell Institute, Runway ushers recent PhDs in digital technology fields through a paradigm shift—from an academic mindset to an entrepreneurial outlooks. This program lasts 12-24 months and incorporates academic and business mentorship. The compensation packages covers salary, research budget, housing allowance, space, etc.
- Innovation Postdoctoral Fellowship: : Empowers aspiring drug hunters to gain first-hand experience in the design and development of breakthrough therapies and innovative technologies. Scientific leaders at NIBR mentor fellows, who benefit from a robust curriculum, including a drug discovery and development boot camp and tailored rotations in scientific and business disciplines.
- Discovery Postdoctoral Fellowship: Fellows tackle key fundamental scientific questions with guidance from a NIBR principal investigator, and from an academic advisor where appropriate. Projects are often interdisciplinary in nature, bridging difference disease areas or combining biology, chemistry and computational approaches. Discovery Fellows have the opportunity to publish their research in high-caliber peer-reviewed journals and present at international meetings.
Pfizer-Pursue ground-breaking research in the areas of disease biology, drug delivery, and mechanisms of action and computational efforts supporting these areas. Fellows will enhance their research and career training in a culture committed to translating basic scientific research into impactful medicines for patients of all ages and geographies.
Merck Research Labs-A best-in-industry experience for postdoctoral researchers, providing an academic focus in a commercial environment. Fellows join a team of scientists working to discover and develop medicines and vaccines that help meet the world’s unmet medical needs. Fellows also participate in seminars, lectures and meetings, and have the opportunity to interact with the local scientific community.
Genentech-Four-year postdoctoral program that pairs PhD graduates with scientists to study meaningful scientific questions and develop their abilities as independent scientific investigators. Program activities also include an annual offsite meeting, biweekly onsite postdoctoral meetings, and a postdoc seminar series. Postdocs can work in the Research, Pharma Technical Development, or Development Sciences organizations.
Janssen-Offers scientists just starting out in their careers the opportunity to gain experience in an industry setting while gaining the skills necessary to position themselves for success in the pharmaceutical industry and academia. Postdocs will work side-by-side with other scientists in the Janssen community, to enable them to demonstrate their potential to excel as a leader within a Janssen team.
Roche-The program provides leading internal scientists with the opportunity to collaborate with talented postdoctoral researchers and leading academic research groups from around the world. Fellows are mentored by an internal scientist at Roche and an academic researcher. Annual postdoc symposium.
Eli Lilly-Exposes PhD graduates to a myriad of pharmaceutical functions and experiences, providing hands-on involvement with the drug development process. Fellows are assigned to one department, but work closely with other areas. (1-year program)
Insight Data Science Fellows Program-A postdoctoral training fellowship that bridges the gap between academia and a career in data science. The program enables scientists to learn industry-specific skills needed to work in the growing field of big data at leading companies. Seven-week training, tuition-free. Self-directed, project-based learning under the guidance of top industry data scientists, and interview at top companies immediately following the program.
- Graduate Student Summer Associate Program: Summer Associates are matched with mentors and projects based on their skills, interests and expertise. Associates work on currently funded projects that have the capacity to support the associate’s work. Summer associates work at RAND full-time for a 12-week period in the summer months. (Salary=$13,500)
- Stanton Nuclear Security Fellows Program: Purpose is to stimulate the development of the next generation of thought leaders on nuclear security related topics by supporting interdisciplinary research that will advance policy-relevant understanding of the issues. Fellows will carry out a year-long period of independent research but will also be given an opportunity to be associated with RAND client-sponsored research
American Academy of Arts & Sciences
Hellman Fellowship in Science & Technology Policy-Provides an opportunity for an early-career professional with training in science or engineering to learn about a career in public policy and administration.
American Society for Microbiology
Clinical Microbiology Fellowship-CPEP fellows conduct original or collaborative research in conjunction with their clinical training in laboratory management, epidemiology, public health, and laboratory safety. Tracks: medical immunology, medical microbiology.
American Museum of Natural History
Helen Fellowship: A 1-year residency for women to devote time immersed in computational scientific research and educational outreach as part of the BridgeUP: STEM educational program. Fellows conduct research under the guidance of a museum scientist in one of the AMNH’s science divisions. Helen Fellows also spend time in the classroom with high school aged women who are instructed in computer programming and computational science concepts. Classes include museum hall visits, guest lectures from museum scientists, and group, as well as independent work. Participation in the development of BridgeUP: STEM curricula is also possible. Fellows act as mentors to Brown Scholars.
Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory
- Fellows Program: Opportunity for young scientists to pursue a period of independent research before taking a faculty position. Fellows direct their own research program under the guidance of a senior faculty member. 3-year appointments with possibility of extension of 1-2 years. Research areas: cancer, neuroscience, plant biology, quantitative biology, bioinformatics & genetics.
- Postdoctoral Researchers: Recent graduates can write directly to a PI whose research are most in line with their own for additional postdoctoral opportunities outside of the Fellows program. The CSHL Meetings & Courses Program brings over 11,000 scientists from around the world, giving postdocs the ability to network with visiting scientists and broaden their scientific knowledge.
- Earth Institute: Program provides opportunity to build a foundation in one of the core disciplines (social, earth, biological, engineering, and health sciences), while at the same time acquiring the breadth of cross-disciplinary expertise needed to address critical issues related to sustainable development. Proposals may suggest participating in, contributing to, or extending existing multidisciplinary EI projects.
- Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory: Researchers at LDEO work to understand the dynamics of the Earth’s chemical, physical and biological systems, from the core to the upper atmosphere, including Earth’s interactions with human society. Fellowships are 24 months.
Postdoctoral Associates Program-Associates conduct cutting-edge research, working towards the development of precise genomic solutions to improve human health. Postdocs benefit from research training and mentorship from faculty, individualized career advising, guidance from the Postdoc Training Committee, professional skills workshops, and Courses & Conferences programs.
This entry is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International license.