The Office of Career Planning & Professional Development at the Graduate Center, in partnership with the CUNY Office of Research, is pleased to announce the CUNY Postdoctoral Travel Awards. The goal of this initiative is to provide postdoctoral associates an opportunity to present scholarly activities at a national or international conference. Approximately three grants of up to $1,500 will be awarded for conference related costs (e.g., travel, housing, registration) during each funding cycle.
Applications for funding will be accepted on a rolling basis.
- For travel between January 1 – April 30, the deadline will be December 1. Awardees will be notified by December 15.
- For travel between May 1 – August 31, the deadline will be April 15. Awardees will be notified by April 30.
- For travel between September 1 – December 31, the deadline will be August 1. Awardees will be notified by August 15.
The travel proposals can request an amount up to $1,500 for expenses related to travel to a professional conference. Approximately three awards are expected to be made for each round of the Postdoctoral Travel Awards.
- Only full-time postdoctoral associates* at the CUNY campuses may apply.
- Active participation in the meeting or conference (i.e., presentation of paper or poster) is required. In the case of co-authored papers, only the primary author/presenter is eligible.
- A postdoctoral associate can submit only one proposal in each calendar year.
- Previous Postdoc Travel Award recipients are NOT eligible.
Specific Proposal Guidelines
The application should include:
1. Curriculum Vitae
Two-page NSF- or NIH-style curriculum vitae.
2. Letter of Support
One-page statement completed and signed by your faculty mentor. The statement should specifically address the significance of this project to your field and your contribution to the research.
3. Project Description
Two-page paper detailing a) the purpose and summary of the project’s results (one page) and b) the value of the travel opportunity to your educational and/or professional goals and to your research group (one page). Be sure to include all relevant information, e.g.,
- Is your presentation a refereed paper?
- How does conference travel aid in your research and your future career?
One-page proposed budget detailing support for airfare, ground transportation, car travel, lodging, food, and conference registration. (May be submitted as a document or spreadsheet.)
5. Verification of Paper Acceptance
Copy of acceptance or confirmation letter indicating that you participated in the meeting or conference. If acceptance has not been received prior to application deadline, please indicate this in your application. If selected for a travel award, your award will be contingent on your acceptance in the conference’s program.
Permission to travel may be required. Instructions for getting travel permissions can be found on the CUNY Health & Safety webpage. Applicants who are travelling internationally are required to submit a notification of intent to travel.
Proposals will be reviewed based on (1) scientific merit based on an evaluation of submitted material, i.e., research findings and individual contribution, and (2) significance of conference. Special consideration will be made for applicants who have special interest in their meeting, e.g., invited speaker, panelist, session moderator.
Requirements of Award Recipients
An abstract of the presentation, proof of participation, and original receipts for all expenditures will be required in order for reimbursement. Awardees may not be compensated for expenses for which they have already received reimbursement from another funding source.
Approvals and Submission
Submit all components of your application online at https://careerplan.commons.gc.cuny.edu/postdoc-travel-award-application.
Questions or requests for further information should be addressed to:
Jennifer S. Furlong, Ph.D.
Director, Office of Career Planning & Professional Development
The Graduate Center of the City University of New York
365 Fifth Avenue, Room 3300.17
New York, NY 10016-4309