Date(s) - Tuesday, May 22, 2018
11:00 am - 1:00 pm
CUNY Graduate Center, room 3317
Please be aware that this event has passed.
About the Job Search Group
Finding your job search to be challenging? Do you need a bit of coaching in a supportive environment? Join our Coffee and Careers job search group, facilitated by Andrea Garrido. The small group setting will allow you to work with a professional coach and your peers to set goals for jump starting your job search.
(Please note that these sessions will focus on non-faculty careers.)
The Coffee and Careers job search group will meet on five Tuesdays in late May and June. The schedule for each session is listed below. We highly recommend that participants plan to attend every session in order to get the most out of the group.
Session One, May 22: Getting to Know One Another
- Learn what self-assessment is, how to use it in one’s academic and career decision making, and how it relates to one’s personal brand
- Discussion of barriers/hurdles—real or perceived—to career development and the importance of identifying and reframing these barriers
- Importance of having a vision (you need to understand where you’re going in order to get there)
Session Two, May 29: Getting to Know Oneself
- Understanding how values and interests play a role in career development
Session Three, June 5: Getting to Know More About Oneself
- Understanding how personality, workplace environment, and motivated skills play a role in career development
Session Four, June 12: Getting to Understand the Job Search Process
- Discussion about the importance of personal brand in the job search
- Evaluating job descriptions, work environments, and organizational culture based on self-assessment
- LinkedIn and Your Career presentation: LinkedIn is a tool that is used by job seekers, recruiters and working professionals to source opportunities and talent. Learn how to create a compelling LinkedIn profile, how to navigate all of the site’s features, and how to use LinkedIn as a research and networking tool.
June 19: Break
Session Five, June 26: Job Search Strategy and Wrap Up
- Putting it all together—creating a refined vision and a mission statement
- Discussion about the importance of one’s career narrative
About Andrea Garrido
Andrea spent the first half of her career in staffing/recruiting, corporate human resources and sales/account management. Her professional experience spans across a broad-spectrum of industries, including staffing, biotech, printing/advertising and managed healthcare. In 2002, she transitioned her recruiting and HR background into higher education and has since then worked at career centers of a private and public universities, supporting undergraduate, graduate/MBA students and alumni of all professional backgrounds and experience levels. In 2010, she founded Turning Leaf Career Consulting with her former colleague and friend, Jennifer Rodgers. Together they have built a career consultancy that serves students and new and seasoned professionals, at all phases of their career development. Andrea has a business degree from the Sellinger School of Business at Loyola University – Maryland and an M.Ed. in counseling psychology from Seton Hall University.