Our Writing Consultation Services
Our graduate writing consultants are available to meet with Graduate Center students to review students’ written materials and to discuss writing-related issues. Students can bring writing from a variety of genres, including course assignments, conference and dissertation materials, and more. Consultants address questions on both the micro (e.g. sentence structure, grammar, clarity) and macro (e.g. brainstorming, organization) levels. Consultants do not “correct” or copy-edit student writing; rather, they help students learn and implement writing strategies.
We assist with materials such as:
- Thesis/Dissertation Proposals
- Thesis/Dissertation Chapters
- Graduate Coursework (e.g. presentations, bibliographies, seminar papers)
- Conference Abstracts
- Conference Talks
- Personal Statements
- Letters of Application and Interest
- Article Manuscripts
We address issues such as:
- “Big issues,” including
- brainstorming ideas
- the organization or structure of your document
- the logic or “flow” of your ideas
- the appropriateness of your argument for your reader
- Narrower concerns at the paragraph or sentence levels, including
- principles of English grammar, style, word choice, and punctuation
- the “flow” of your sentences and sentence transitions
- questions of clarity
Beyond our purview:
Graduate writing consultants help students learn and implement writing strategies rather than “correcting” or copy-editing student writing. Consultants direct students to their program faculty for field-specific expertise, to Career Office advisers for job-material expertise, to the Teaching and Learning Center for teaching documents, and to the library for citation questions.
For more information about other Office of Career Planning and Professional Development services, click here.
Making an Appointment
All meetings are confidential. Meetings last 45 minutes. Our office is located in room 3300.10.
Current GC students can sign up for writing consultation appointments using GC Connect. To make an appointment in GC Connect, follow these instructions or watch this video tutorial. Please note that students can only schedule appointments up to two weeks in advance. Appointments are limited to two per student per two-week block; this includes cancellations. For questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org.