Date(s) - Thursday, October 30, 2014
6:00 pm - 8:00 pm
CUNY Graduate Center, room 8301
*This event has been postponed to spring 2015.*
You’ve probably heard the phrase “it’s not what you know, it’s who you know” when it it comes to job hunting. One fantastic resource we have at the GC is our alumni, many of whom have found great jobs inside and outside the academy.
You’ll have a chance to meet some of them in small group settings at our Alumni Mentoring Roundtable on Oct. 30. These alumni–representing various fields–have agreed to share details about how they started out in their career, offer tips for students about how to do the same, and explain what they like and find challenging about their jobs.
We expect the group discussions to be informal and very interactive, giving students a chance to ask lots of questions. Each student will be paired with potential mentors for small group discussions (4-6 students) lasting 20-25 minutes each. After about 20-25 minutes, we’ll rotate, giving students the chance to chat with alumni from 3 different fields. The last 30 minutes will be an open networking session.
Our mentors will be:
- PeiYao Chen, PhD Psychology, Director of Learning, Evaluation, and Impact, Global Fund for Women
- Samuel Crane, PhD Biology, Data Analyst: Science Curriculum, Amplify Learning
- Laurie Dien, PhD Environmental Psych, Senior Program Officer, Pinkerton Foundation
- Marie Fahey, PhD English, English Teacher, Friends Seminary
- Kecia Hayes, PhD Urban Ed, Director of REACH, Teachers College
- Gwynneth C. Malin, PhD History, Director, Humanities Initiative, NYU
Add the event to your digital calendar: webcal.