Writing a Research Statement
One of the steps to applying for academic jobs, which can be frustrating and tedious, is preparing a portfolio. This includes a research statement that outlines your plans as a generator of knowledge in the future during your academic career. If you have questions about how to write a research statement, we have already created a handy guide to help.
Additionally, there are many resources on the web that share great advice on how to complete this portion of your portfolio:
- How to Write a Research Statement (video, from a STEM perspective)
- Dr. Karen’s Rules of the Research Statement (from The Professor Is In.)
- Advice regarding research statements
- Sample research statements from University of Pennsylvania
- Sample research statements from Duke University
- Some advice on research statements from Cornell University
And remember, you can submit all your documents for prospective positions through Interfolio, a service for which the Graduate Center provides its PhD students. Learn more about Interfolio here.