To all of our incoming master’s and doctoral students, welcome! We are so pleased to have you here and to have the chance to be a part of your intellectual and professional development. It is never to early to create a professional development plan for yourself, and we encourage you to stop by our walk-in hours (M 12-2; W 4-6) or make an appointment to talk about your goals. We look forward to meeting you!
In the meantime, here a a few resources that can help you get started on the right foot:
- 10 Things you Should Know Before Starting a Ph.D.
- 12 Tips for Surviving and Thriving in Grad School
- How to Survive Graduate School (good suggestions for your personal well-being)
- The Chicago Guide to Your Academic Career
- Surviving Your Stupid Stupid Decision to go to Grad School
- A PhD Is Not Enough! (geared toward the sciences; available to borrow through the NYPL)
- Getting What You Came For: The Smart Student’s Guide to Earning an M.A. or a Ph.D.